Thursday, 13 November 2014

Berkhamsted v Merchant Taylors' 15.11.2014 Programme Notes




It gives me great pleasure to welcome our friends from Merchant Taylors’ School to Chesham Rd this morning. Within the last few days at Berkhamsted we have been entertaining the MTS Oxbridge applicants to a reciprocal series of practice interviews. Some of the boys may even be playing today. There was a time when Evelyn Waugh’s Decline and Fall was required reading for anyone with Oxbridge pretensions, in the confident anticipation of three years of dissolution and self-indulgence. The book begins with the resurrection dinner of the ‘Boller Club’ at ‘Scone College, Oxford’ after an extended ban, and progresses to the disaster that overwhelms one of life’s innocents that evening on his return from reading a paper to the Theological Society. The poor chap finds himself ‘sent down’ for gross moral turpitude, with a career as a schoolmaster in Wales his only recourse.

The recently retired Headmaster of MTS and I were friends and contemporaries at Queens’ in the late 1970s, and fellow members of a social club of what we probably both now regard as pretentious notoriety, pale when set against the lurid colours of the ‘Boller Club’, but the fact that we both ended up as schoolmasters some may see as some sort of cautionary tale. ‘Mr Pennyfeather,’ begins the Headmaster, on interviewing the ingĂ©nu,’I have been acquainted with the scholastic profession for long enough to know that no-one ever enters it…unless he has a very good reason…which he wishes to conceal.’ So be warned, all you thrustingly ambitious, would-be Oxbridge scholars, reaching out for the glittering prizes: it still could all go horribly wrong!

Since we are in the month of ‘Movember’, I thought I would share with you a photograph of Steve and myself in a ‘Kangaroo Club’ photo of the late 1970s. It was not a good decade for fashion, it is true, but we both had some hair and were both a few pounds lighter.  

                                                            

But I digress. This is always a fiercely-contested, but mutually respectful, fixture between long-standing opponents. Berkhamsted have won the last couple convincingly, but the record over the last 50 years is remarkably even. This is one of our most valued fixtures, and I trust that all the teams will play in a manner that befits a fixture of such longevity between two fine schools.

Our referee today is Niamh Hennessy who refereed the opening game of the season against St Albans. I recall she had to dash off to a wedding reception that day, so I hope she will have time today to enjoy some typical Berkhamsted post-match hospitality.

Dick Mowbray,

Master i/c Rugby

Berkhamsted.

No comments:

Post a Comment